Monday, February 8, 2010

Check out: www.FoodPicker.org for Diabetes Nutrition Education

I just became a nutrition editor at www.foodpicker.org - a website designed to help people with diabetes make better food choices.

I became particularly interested in counseling people with diabetes while I was a dietetic intern at the fabulous Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center in Manhattan.

In the United States, 24 million people have diabetes and an estimate 57 million have pre-diabetes. There is a direct correlation between what a person with diabetes eats and their blood glucose levels. The risk for health complications increases the longer blood glucose remains uncontrolled. Do you know what well-controlled diabetes is a risk factor for?

Nothing!

My hope in joining this project at www.foodpicker.org is to provide a credible discussion of nutrition and diabetes-related topics. I will be posting about these, in addition to my usual favorite: how health and nutrition research is distorted by the media.



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the gig, Jacqueline.I'm pretty sure I'm prediabetic - since I've speant years drinking several liters of coke a day. So I'll check it out.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, please don't remind me about your diet - i saw it first hand in good ol TA 34! ;)

    ReplyDelete