Friday, June 11, 2010

Interning, Butchering and Hope

The final step in becoming a registered dietitian (RD) - aside from passing the RD exam - involves completing an 11-month internship. I like to describe the internship as a 'residency for dietitians.' I suppose it's an apt comparison; we rotate our way through a variety of practice areas: clinical nutrition, community nutrition education, food service and an elective of our choosing.

Since September 2009, I've interned at seven locations:
I'm in the final days of my food service rotation at The Cleaver Company, a locally-sourced, sustainably-focused catering company located in NYC's Chelsea Market. As a supplement to our experience in Mary Cleaver's kitchen, my classmate and I spent some time two doors down at Dickson's Farmstand Meats helping to vacuum package the locally-raised, feedlot-free meat carved by Adam Tiberio, Dickson's butcher. Sounds ok, right?

Wrong. It was absolutely, totally, completely fascinating. We watched silently as Adam carried out an entire hindquarter of a cow, hung it on a hook and proceeded to carve it so quickly and precisely it took all the concentration I had to keep moving - following his packaging instructions - and not dumbly stare (in veneration mostly, but with a drop of horror too). I'll never say, "I butchered the job" to refer to a mistake again.

Good thing I'm not at all squeamish. As the first hindquarter was hooked, we noticed an organ hanging down. "What's that?" we asked. "Oh, a kidney..." My grandfather was a USDA meat inspector in the 1940s and 50s, and then a meat salesman in NYC's Meat Packing District through the early 1970s. Dickson's gave me a morsel of family history as well.

The NY Times recently mentioned Dickson's in this story on local meat. 

Yesterday (my second time at Dickson's), I got to vacuum package goat while The Boston Beer Company (aka Sam Adams) filmed Adam carving beef (too bad I didn't get to see the goat carving, for comparison's sake). Apparently there is a partnership-to-be between Dickson's and Sam Adams. I signed a release since they filmed me packaging, though I think my back was mostly to the camera. My identifying feature? A Christmasy combination of a light green headscarf and red clogs.

All of the above is a dreadfully superficial description of what is really going on here.  The food system is changing. The resurgence of butchering, the staring customers, the filming - it all gives me hope. In the future, maybe we won't give 70% of our antibiotics to animals in feedlots. Maybe we'll have fewer strains of antibiotic-resistant bacteria and fewer cases of foodborne illnesses. Maybe the Mississippi River won't be so polluted by CAFO* runoff and maybe the deoygenated "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico will shrink (if the oil spill is ever contained). Maybe our great-grandkids won't know what the global warming fuss was all about.

That's what's going on.

*CAFO = Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds really cool. I love this push for locally grown and raised foods in NY. I think if we keep getting better about supporting the movement here it will spread to other areas and shut down the garbage food factories that are still so prevalent. The 1950's convenience food thing went way out of control. Now we just need to learn to cook again.
    I'm working on that myself because all too many times in a pinch I will turn to processed foods if I do not think about it.

    ReplyDelete