Sunday, July 17, 2011

Banana Bread with a Boost

I love banana bread! This afternoon I decided to play around with a new recipe. While baking is more precise than cooking, you can still tweak recipes and end up with delicious - and healthful - baked goods.

I started looking at this recipe from the Food Network and this recipe from Allrecipes.com. I mostly followed the Food Network version, but made several substitutions to eliminate saturated fat, boost protein and add omega-3 fatty acids

Instead of 8 tablespoons of butter, I used 5 1/2 tablespoons of canola oil.

Instead of 2 cups all-purpose flour, I used:
    • 1 cup whole wheat flour
    • 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
    • 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds
Instead of 1 cup white granulated sugar, I used 3/4 cup brown sugar (less sugar but more flavor).

I also used less than the 1 teaspoon salt called for by the recipe - probably around 1/2 tsp.

The result? Yum! - delicious, hearty, moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment